Tuesday 30 December 2014

Day 31: New Year: The Past, The Future, and a Big Reveal (it's going to be a long one)


Today marks the end of the nail art challenge which I have hugely enjoyed doing as per usual! Before we get onto the nail art though, I think as we are heading into a New Year, a little bit of reflection is in order, plus once you've read it, my nail art will make more sense...

New Year is always a great time to look to the future and make changes, whether it's to get fit (need to do), cut down on something (nail varnish: still need to do) or to just generally make peace with yourself. It is also a great time to look back on the past year, and things you have accomplished.

I started this blog exactly 2 years ago today as a New Year Resolution. In my first ever post, I explained how I wanted to blog as a hobby, and to keep me in the habit of writing. If I'm honest, beauty was something that never interested me, but my job as a sales assistant in a natural skincare department meant I was being given lots of nice things to try, and being trained on brands which was really informative. I put two and two together, and decided to start a beauty blog, so I could share all of these useful things with others!

Very quickly, I could see how people spend lots of money on beauty, as I was finally jumping on the beauty band wagon my friends had got on long ago. Suddenly I knew what a serum was, and what the benefits of regular exfoliation can do, and I was instantly hooked. I even remember a friend of mine and I writing a A4 sheet list of things we needed to make ourselves 'Goddesses'. It goes without saying that there is so much more to life than beauty and looks, which I am a firm believer of, and I certainly don't want to come across as shallow or vain, but it is something everyone can relate too, as it makes us all feel good when we feel we look good, and that is simply, what I love about it.

I still have so much to learn about the beauty industry, and am by no means an expert which I hope I don't come across as trying to be with my blog. If anything, I just wanted to show people all these cool things that were available that I didn't know about before, and to tell you guys if they were worth buying or not!

 My blog has however opened my eyes to the idea of a career in beauty, especially writing about it, as my blog is something I really enjoy doing. I mean, it's something I do after a full day at work with absolutely no profit, yet I still soldier on to try and make sure I make regular posts to please, realistically about 5 people. That is commitment for you! I do find it really rewarding though, and having a little extra curricular hobby is nice for me as I'm not one of these people who can relax and watch TV all evening, I'm a bit too hyper for that.

By no means has my blog become a overnight raving success such as Zoella, who now has her own book and beauty brand, but I am still shocked at how well my blog has done, and how I still manage to get views on the posts I do. Looking back on old posts, I can see how much I've grown, even if its just down to better photography or 'beauty terminology'.

Some highlights for me have been reaching a staggering 4000+ views on my Bleach London post I did. I have no idea why it has been so popular, but I still gets regular views everyday despite being written a while ago now. My blog gave me the confidence to put myself forward for a magazine article which was then published online which was a bit cool. I've also really embraced the social media side to blogging, and have regular chats with absolute strangers about things such as what is the best remedy for an annoying spot.

On a more personal level, for me, 2014 has been one of the fastest years of my life. I have done so much I can't even begin to explain how much fun I've had. Something I'm particularly proud of, is that I've seen so many of my favourite music acts at stand alone gigs or at Glastonbury Festival. I also swam with sharks, and went on a summer and skiing holiday. I have had one of the most exciting years of my life, for one that I thought was going to be boring. I guess it comes to the awkward/ exciting part of my post now. The reason I thought my year would be boring is because I've been saving up all my money, as I reveal that I am going travelling this year.

As most of you who read thing blog are my friends or family, you will know that travelling is something I have planned on doing as soon as I left university. I am finally pleased to say that on March 6th 2015, I will be flying to Rio, Brazil, where I will start my indefinite journey around the world. I can now do a picture of my nail art for the New Year, as in 9 weeks from now, I will be embarking on my terrifying, yet unbelievably exciting trip around the world.


I can't strictly call these nail art, as I have literally cut out some maps from an atlas which I butchered, and then shaped them into little decals for my nail, but if you go from the little finger to the thumb, that is the order of the places I'm going, so there is a little insight into some of the places I shall be visiting on my trip! 'Why am I telling you this over my blog though?' I hear you cry!
 Well a few people have said that they want me to document my travels whilst I'm away, providing I can get to a computer and wifi access. But I wanted to know if you would mind if I did it on here, after all we've all got to know each other on here for the last 2 years. I think it will add a new dimension to my blog, and a more personal level if you will. The people who read this blog though are people who want to read about beauty though, not what I will smell like after a 6 week trek around South America. I'll try and find a way of making it a separate column or something, but I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if you want to follow me still on my journey, even though it goes against the whole meaning of my blog, then welcome, to What A Looker On Tour! Obviously whilst I'm away I'm going to be spying foreign beauty products to try so I will regularly update on those, but it is going to be a new journey for me and my little blog, so I can't always promise regular posts, as I want to enjoy my trip as much as I bloody can!

If you have read this far thank you for sticking with me, I really apologise for the essay, and I guess I don't really know what the point of this post is. I guess I just wanted to share with you what I've been doing for the last year, what I've been proud of, and my plans for the future. Sometimes it's nice to break down the fourth wall and see that I have a life beyond what you see me post on here :)  Please comment and let me know if you would like to follow me on my journey.

Thanks for reading guys, and thank you for sticking with me throughout the December nail art challenge. 


January will be back to lots of product reviews I promise! I wish you all the most amazing, successful and prosperous New Year's, and hope you too can accomplish some of your wishes.

Steph xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment